Danielle & Craig

Danielle & Craig
We are the Joneses: Craig, Danielle, Adrianna & Carson, and these are our life's adventures!

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Social Slate

Social activities for Carson have been at the forefront of my mind and the focus of most of my laptop time this past week. I have learned about SOOO many options available for him! Aside from the field trips, co-op classes, and PE days with Joyful Journey Homeschool Group here's what's up for consideration:
Cubscouts is a MUST! He will be bridging to a Webelo tonight, and I am very excited for all of the new adventures this year will bring him and our family! Pack 500 is where we will be staying as he likes the friends he's made there, and this association will allow us to continue to develop those friendships. Also, I am the pack treasurer and you know I can't very well abandon that post- I'm a service addict, I think.
Another friend of mine, Heather McDonald, is a homeschooler but is not affiliated with JJourney, but rather Las Vegas Home School Group, a homeschooling support group, or playgroup as she calls it. They have fun activities like ice skating, parties, and a No-girls-allowed Boys Club!
My friend Joy Stalians, mother of a fellow den member of Carson's, has the inside scoop on chess club and tournaments and has agreed to let me know when they get going again for the fall. Carson began playing chess in Chess Club during first grade. He has only played with his dad and online so far, so I'm excited for his first tournament experience!
JJourney also gets phenominal rates for swim lessons @ Water Wings Swim School. Lessons will begin in January and go through April or May.
My freind and fellow JJourney member, Christine Taylor, has her son taking MMA classes (Mixed Martial Arts) from Rodrigo Artilheiro of Extreme Couture. He does the classes at Calvary Chapel Spring Valley.
A former co-worker of mine from INO 204, Amy Manness, has her children involved in theater through Rainbow Company Theater. I am considering getting Carson involved in this because he LOVES to perform.
This is all that I have found so far through connections that I already have, however, I'm still open to other suggestions. My greatest focus in the area of socialization is to make sure that Carson is 1. doing things he loves to do and can become passionate about the more he becomes involved in it, and 2. interacting with different groups of people from different backgrounds and with different interests. The purpose of this would be to recreate the exposure to diversity that you assuredly get within the public school system. It is important to me that Carson be rooted in his own culture and beliefs, but know how to interact with others from all backgrounds, cultures, and belief systems in the hopes that he will choose to be an apologetic to Christ.

No comments: